zookeeper-user mailing list archives

From Tim Ward <tim.w...@featurespace.co.uk>
Subject RE: How to deliberately cause a split brain?
Date Thu, 18 Jun 2020 09:06:49 GMT
From: Szalay-Bekő Máté <szalay.beko.mate@gmail.com>
> Honestly, I can not really think of any way to get split-brain. If someone can, then
let us know so that we can fix it ;)

This issue arose because, apparently, we did get a split brain once upon a time. The hints
I've got however are that this happened in a pre-3.5 version of Zookeeper, involving a (botched?)
rescaling from 3 to 7 nodes. From which hints I'm guessing that something got fixed in 3.5
so that this approach to deliberately provoking a split brain would not work with the 3.5.7
we're now using.

Tim Ward

This message, and any files/attachments transmitted together with it, is intended for the
use only of the person (or persons) to whom it is addressed. It may contain information which
is confidential and/or protected by legal privilege. Accordingly, any dissemination, distribution,
copying or use of this message, or any part of it or anything sent together with it, other
than by intended recipients, may constitute a breach of civil or criminal law and is hereby
prohibited. Unless otherwise stated, any views expressed in this message are those of the
person sending it and not the sender's employer. No responsibility, legal or otherwise, of
whatever nature, is accepted as to the accuracy of the contents of this message or for the
completeness of the message as received. Anyone who is not the intended recipient of this
message is advised to make no use of it and is requested to contact Featurespace Limited as
soon as possible. Any recipient of this message who has knowledge or suspects that it may
have been the subject of unauthorised interception or alteration is also requested to contact
Featurespace Limited.