zookeeper-user mailing list archives

From Tim Ward <tim.w...@featurespace.co.uk>
Subject RE: How to deliberately cause a split brain?
Date Fri, 19 Jun 2020 13:53:38 GMT
From: Enrico Olivelli <eolivelli@gmail.com>

> > And I've come up with some stuff I can monitor to detect all that in
> > various ways.
>
> Awesome, do you mean a "generic" tool ?

"Yes" in that it may (if it can be tested!) work for any application and its use of Zookeeper.

But "no" in that it's specific to the use of Prometheus with the JMX Prometheus Java agent
to collect metrics, and the particular metrics we have chosen to code for our usage of the
JMX Prometheus Java agent.

(There is information available in the responses to the Four Letter Words which could also
be used, if you don't mind the potential flakiness of parsing textual output, except this
doesn't work if any of your nodes might legitimately have leaderServes switched off.)

And it's certainly no use to anyone (not even me) unless/until it has been tested.

Tim Ward
This message, and any files/attachments transmitted together with it, is intended for the
use only of the person (or persons) to whom it is addressed. It may contain information which
is confidential and/or protected by legal privilege. Accordingly, any dissemination, distribution,
copying or use of this message, or any part of it or anything sent together with it, other
than by intended recipients, may constitute a breach of civil or criminal law and is hereby
prohibited. Unless otherwise stated, any views expressed in this message are those of the
person sending it and not the sender's employer. No responsibility, legal or otherwise, of
whatever nature, is accepted as to the accuracy of the contents of this message or for the
completeness of the message as received. Anyone who is not the intended recipient of this
message is advised to make no use of it and is requested to contact Featurespace Limited as
soon as possible. Any recipient of this message who has knowledge or suspects that it may
have been the subject of unauthorised interception or alteration is also requested to contact
Featurespace Limited.