zookeeper-user mailing list archives

From Tim Ward <tim.w...@featurespace.co.uk>
Subject RE: How to deliberately cause a split brain?
Date Fri, 19 Jun 2020 11:39:53 GMT
From: Michael Han <hanm@apache.org>
> There are different cases for split brain and how to test the monitor code depends on
what signals
> you are using - but most usually, a split brain case can be created by artificially split
two quorum
> out of a single quorum through manual configuration change (e.g. a 7 quorum servers can
be split
> into a 4 quorum with a 3 quorum - just exclude the servers from each config).

Yes, I am coming to the conclusion that one could in effect

(a) build two separate Zookeeper ensembles
(b) point parts of one's application at one ensemble and the rest at the other

and expect the application to misbehave somewhat horribly.

And I've come up with some stuff I can monitor to detect all that in various ways.

*BUT* this detection process would reply on the person who had carefully and cunningly maliciously
mis-configured Zookeeper at the same time *correctly* configuring the monitoring system. How
likely is that, I wonder? So I'm discussing with my customer how much use this feature is
really likely to be in the real world ...

Thanks all for the various comments.

Tim Ward
This message, and any files/attachments transmitted together with it, is intended for the
use only of the person (or persons) to whom it is addressed. It may contain information which
is confidential and/or protected by legal privilege. Accordingly, any dissemination, distribution,
copying or use of this message, or any part of it or anything sent together with it, other
than by intended recipients, may constitute a breach of civil or criminal law and is hereby
prohibited. Unless otherwise stated, any views expressed in this message are those of the
person sending it and not the sender's employer. No responsibility, legal or otherwise, of
whatever nature, is accepted as to the accuracy of the contents of this message or for the
completeness of the message as received. Anyone who is not the intended recipient of this
message is advised to make no use of it and is requested to contact Featurespace Limited as
soon as possible. Any recipient of this message who has knowledge or suspects that it may
have been the subject of unauthorised interception or alteration is also requested to contact
Featurespace Limited.