zookeeper-user mailing list archives

From Jordan Zimmerman <jor...@jordanzimmerman.com>
Subject Re: How to deliberately cause a split brain?
Date Thu, 18 Jun 2020 11:50:09 GMT
Way back in 2013 I wrote about a scenario whereby ZooKeeper will have two leader nodes. I don’t
know if it still applies but maybe it will be helpful to you: http://zookeeper-user.578899.n2.nabble.com/Rolling-config-change-considered-harmful-td7578761.html

====================
Jordan Zimmerman

> On Jun 18, 2020, at 4:07 AM, Tim Ward <tim.ward@featurespace.co.uk> wrote:
>
> From: Szalay-Bekő Máté <szalay.beko.mate@gmail.com>
>> Honestly, I can not really think of any way to get split-brain. If someone can, then
let us know so that we can fix it ;)

> This issue arose because, apparently, we did get a split brain once upon a time. The
hints I've got however are that this happened in a pre-3.5 version of Zookeeper, involving
a (botched?) rescaling from 3 to 7 nodes. From which hints I'm guessing that something got
fixed in 3.5 so that this approach to deliberately provoking a split brain would not work
with the 3.5.7 we're now using.

> Tim Ward
>
> This message, and any files/attachments transmitted together with it, is intended for
the use only of the person (or persons) to whom it is addressed. It may contain information
which is confidential and/or protected by legal privilege. Accordingly, any dissemination,
distribution, copying or use of this message, or any part of it or anything sent together
with it, other than by intended recipients, may constitute a breach of civil or criminal law
and is hereby prohibited. Unless otherwise stated, any views expressed in this message are
those of the person sending it and not the sender's employer. No responsibility, legal or
otherwise, of whatever nature, is accepted as to the accuracy of the contents of this message
or for the completeness of the message as received. Anyone who is not the intended recipient
of this message is advised to make no use of it and is requested to contact Featurespace Limited
as soon as possible. Any recipient of this message who has knowledge or suspects that it may
have been the subject of unauthorised interception or alteration is also requested to contact
Featurespace Limited.