zookeeper-user mailing list archives

From Ted Dunning <ted.dunn...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Restarting leader zookeeper instance made quorum lost
Date Wed, 09 Apr 2014 19:06:19 GMT
Your email is a little ambiguous.

a) "5 instances with 3 as quorum" could mean 5 instances configured and
running normally.

Or

b) it could mean 5 instances with 2 instances that are down.

In (a) restarting the leader instance *should* cause the cluster to do a
leader election again and form a new quorum.  That is a form of losing
quorum.  If that is what you mean, this is normal.  A new quorum should be
formed and things should continue fairly soon.

In (b), restarting the leader will result in only 2 instances running which
is not enough to maintain quorum and until you have at least 3 nodes
running again, you can't proceed.