zookeeper-user mailing list archives

From Patrick Hunt <ph...@apache.org>
Subject Re: GSOC 2011 is coming
Date Mon, 31 Jan 2011 07:34:24 GMT
On Fri, Jan 28, 2011 at 4:54 AM, Thomas Koch <thomas@koch.ro> wrote:
> Google Summer of code is coming again! Will ZooKeeper take part as a project?
> Where could we collect project ideas? The ideas page from 2010 is at:
>
> http://wiki.apache.org/hadoop/ZooKeeper/SoC2010Ideas

Hi Thomas, we had a great gsoc 2010! Three proposals were accepted by
Apache and successfully completed.

You've see this page? http://community.apache.org/gsoc.html

> However ZooKeeper became a top-level-project since then and got it's own wiki.
>
> Disclaimer: I'd like to take part as a student for the ZK project.
>
> First ideas:

A couple of the unimplemented ZK GSOC issues look interesting (DNS?).

Also, have you considered working with bookkeeper at all? Or Hedwig?
(they both use ZK, currently contribs but could move to subs if
there's sufficient community interest). Both projects have the
potential to be big (hadoop HDFS may use BK) . I personally think the
FUSE interface to BK would be cool. Both BK and Hedwig are relatively
new, significant work needs to be done to make them production ready
(vs ZK which is relatively mature at this point).

Regards,

Patrick