zookeeper-user mailing list archives

From Thomas Koch <tho...@koch.ro>
Subject GSOC 2011 is coming
Date Fri, 28 Jan 2011 12:54:48 GMT
Hi,

Google Summer of code is coming again! Will ZooKeeper take part as a project?
Where could we collect project ideas? The ideas page from 2010 is at:

http://wiki.apache.org/hadoop/ZooKeeper/SoC2010Ideas

However ZooKeeper became a top-level-project since then and got it's own wiki.

Disclaimer: I'd like to take part as a student for the ZK project.

First ideas:

- use avro instead of jute
- extract the consistent hashing code from cassandra as a standalone zookeeper
aplication
- Re-implement zookeeper on top of node.js in javascript. :-) (kidding...)
- Check, whether Finite State Transducers[1] can be of any help to minimize
the memory consumption of the znodes tree
- Check, whether it makes sense to represent paths in the znodes tree as lists
of immutable, singleton PathElements

[1] http://chbits.blogspot.com/2011/01/finite-state-transducers-part-2.html

Best regards,

Thomas Koch, http://www.koch.ro