zookeeper-user mailing list archives

From Ted Dunning <ted.dunn...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: A few questions on zookeeper
Date Mon, 06 Dec 2010 17:02:51 GMT
You can definitely do this, but your reliability will be different from what
might be expected.  The probability of the cluster hanging due to a failure
is higher than for a single machine.  The probability of data loss will be
lower than for a single machine.  Similarly, any maintenance that requires
one of the two machines to be down will cause your cluster to hang.

Can you clarify what you mean by 2 server + 1 quorum disk?

Btw... one way around the downtime during maintenance is to reconfigure the
cluster on the fly to use a single server
during the maintenance window.  You will still have a short window of freeze
because you need to take down the
server that is exiting the cluster first before bouncing the other server
with the new config.  If your maintenance period is less than a few minutes,
this isn't usually worthwhile.