zookeeper-user mailing list archives

From Patrick Hunt <ph...@apache.org>
Subject Re: closing session on socket close vs waiting for timeout
Date Wed, 01 Sep 2010 21:19:25 GMT

On 09/01/2010 01:40 PM, Fournier, Camille F. [Tech] wrote:
> Hmm. Tying the session directly to the connection basically reverses
> my problem: I used to have crashed clients' ephemeral nodes visible
> for the duration of the session timeout, now I have partitioned
> clients' ephemeral nodes doubled for the duration of the session
> timeout. Of course, I expect partitions far less frequently than
> crashing/killed clients, so I suspect that is a cost I would
> willingly pay.

I was suggesting that the session be tied directly to the connection, as
soon as the connection was lost the session would be cleaned up
(expired) and the ephemerals deleted. This seemed to me to be a solution
to your problem - if the client crashes cleanup the ephemerals
immediately, if the client goes into gc pause the connection (and
therefore the session) would be maintained.

> If the session is tied directly to the connection it would have some
> fairly big implications to the client-side zookeeper code eh? Instead
> of just seamlessly reconnecting upon zk server node failure you'd
> have to recreate your old session state completely. My own wrapping
> of the zkclient would handle this, but it's not completely trivial
> and increases the work on the zk servers when a failure occurs.

Nothing that you don't already have to handle. If the session is expired
you have to do this today regardless. The difference is that clients
using this feature lose the benefit of session re-establishment and
always drop back to full session recreation in cases of network failure.
TANSTAAFL. :-) But unless I'm mis-understanding your original request
this solves your problem as originally stated.

Patrick