zookeeper-user mailing list archives

From Qian Ye <yeqian....@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Q about ZK internal: how commit is being remembered
Date Thu, 28 Jan 2010 05:52:24 GMT
Hi Henry:

According to your explanation, "*ZAB makes the guarantee that a proposal
which has been logged by
a quorum of followers will eventually be committed*" , however, the source
code of Zookeeper, the FastLeaderElection.java file, shows that, in the
election, the candidates only provide their zxid in the votes, the one with
the max zxid would win the election. I mean, it seems that no check has been
made to make sure whether the latest proposal has been logged by a quorum of
servers.

In this situation, the zookeeper would deliver a proposal, which is known as
a failed one by the client. Imagine this scenario, a zookeeper cluster with
5 servers, Leader only receives 1 ack for proposal A, after a timeout, the
client is told that the proposal failed. At this time, all servers restart
due to a power failure. The server have the log of proposal A would be the
leader, however, the client is told the proposal A failed.

Do I misunderstand this?

--
With Regards!

Ye, Qian