zookeeper-user mailing list archives

From Patrick Hunt <ph...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Reaching the Sequntial limit
Date Tue, 05 Jan 2010 20:21:07 GMT
Hi Ohad, this is a known issue, documented here
http://hadoop.apache.org/zookeeper/docs/current/zookeeperProgrammers.html#Sequence+Nodes+--+Unique+Naming
the plan is to mitigate when we move to version 4.

Note that the seq number is "per znode", meaning that the value is not
globally maintained. If this were ever to become an issue one could
delete the "parent" znode and recreate it, thereby resetting the req
number counter. (btw, mahadev did the calculation a while back and it
was something like 4 years to overflow if seq znodes were created on a
single parent znode at near our max write rate, we hope to put out v4
before this. ;-) )

Patrick