zookeeper-user mailing list archives

From Thomas Vinod Johnson <Thomas.John...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: What happens when a server loses all its state?
Date Wed, 17 Dec 2008 22:51:58 GMT
Thanks for all the responses.
Benjamin Reed wrote:
> Thomas,
>
> in the scenario you give you have two simultaneous failures with 3 nodes, so it will
not recover correctly. A is failed because it is not up. B has failed because it lost all
its data.

> it would be good for ZooKeeper to not come up in that scenario. perhaps what we need
is something similar to your safe state proposal. basically a server that has forgotten everything
should not be allowed to vote in the leader election. that would avoid your scenario. we just
need to put a flag file in the data directory to say that the data is valid and thus can vote.

> ben

Would this feature be something you'd consider implementing in the short
to medium term?