www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Alex Harui <aha...@adobe.com.INVALID>
Subject Re: LICENSE and NOTICE file content
Date Tue, 26 Jun 2018 05:15:10 GMT
AIUI, our primary objectives for open source are about “sharing” (and open-ness in general
and “security/safety”.  So yeah, there is some overhead to being an open source project.
 We want source packages that folks can use in other ways, and that folks can use without
fear of getting infected by a virus.  We generally recommend that folks use our code by building
from sources.  If the source package contains executable code, there is always a chance that
some evil person will find a way to exploit that.

So, IMO, even a byte-code manipulation tool that has test data, probably had that test data
compiled from some source.  We should make that source available so that folks can try different
variations, or even fix a bug that’s “been there forever that nobody found until just
now”.

However, I don’t know of any Apache policy or convention that dictates that the source for
the test byte code must be provided in the same package as the byte-code manipulation tool.
 You could create a separate release of the source for the test byte code and never release
it again if it never changes.  Then that would be an upstream dependency for the byte-code
manipulation tool source package.  But if it were up to me, the tool’s source package still
would not contain the byte code unless there is some way to solve the “security/safety”
goal.  Maybe it is good enough to give the file a different suffix so it appears as a non-executable
file.  But I would probably just have the tool’s source package build script download the
convenience binary of the upstream test source package.

That is extra overhead for sure, but I don’t think that is ‘impractical’.  And I still
wouldn’t hold up any release for this kind of issue.  Incrementally make improvements in
subsequent releases.  Create a test-data source release.  Then adjust the main source package
to download the test jar.

My 2 cents,
-Alex