www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Christopher <ctubb...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Update LICENSE-2.0.html#apply to include canonical repository location
Date Mon, 11 Jun 2018 22:30:23 GMT
On Mon, Jun 11, 2018 at 6:16 PM Roman Shaposhnik <roman@shaposhnik.org>
wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 11, 2018 at 2:54 PM, Michael Mior <mmior@apache.org> wrote:
> > While we're on the topic of changes to the license,
>
> That is in fact, an implicit question I'm asking: are we changing
> the license or merely a *suggestion* of how to apply the license
> to the work?
>
> On one hand, the text is part of the LICENSE, on the other hand
> it clearly is marked as an APPENDIX

IANAL, but it looks to me like the parts being suggested to change are not
part of the LICENSE itself, but are part of the LICENSE PAGE or LICENSE
DOCUMENT, which have no bearing on the LICENSE at all, and are merely ways
to identify the current location/version/name of the license, and
instructions on how to use it.

It seems to me that the LICENSE is the text (not including presentation
markup, such as html) between "TERMS AND CONDITIONS FOR USE, REPRODUCTION,
AND DISTRIBUTION" and "END OF TERMS AND CONDITIONS", and nobody has
suggested changing anything in that range of text.