www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Greg Stein <gst...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Update LICENSE-2.0.html#apply to include canonical repository location
Date Tue, 12 Jun 2018 00:12:56 GMT
On Mon, Jun 11, 2018 at 3:58 PM Roman Shaposhnik <roman@shaposhnik.org>
wrote:

> This sounds like a very useful addition to me. My understanding
> is that text of the header itself is not really a legal document of
> any kind and as such it will be up to use to decide of what we
> recommend goes in there.

Yeup. That's what a software/IP lawyer told me in the past. If it ever
reaches that stage, the legal teams will research the provenance in detail,
and totally ignore what is *claimed* in the header. This is also why he
suggested we stop bothering with the yearly updates to "copyright year"
claims in the header. The version control history will be authoritative,
if/when needed.

The header is a nice advisement to users/readers, but it is certainly not
authoritative.

Cheers,
-g