www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Rob Vesse <rve...@dotnetrdf.org>
Subject Re: Question regarding Selenium license
Date Thu, 21 Jun 2018 13:02:57 GMT
Rakesh

The Apache License is a standard open source license created by this foundation but free for
use by anyone and is widely adopted across the open source ecosystem.  This list exists for
discussion of licensing questions specifically related to Apache projects.  Selenium is not
an Apache project so questions of this nature should be directed to the Selenium developers.

In general everything you have outlined should be acceptable for an Apache licensed project.
However I would strongly advise you to check with the Selenium developers and obtain professional
legal advice particularly if you intend to run a business around this.  There may be other
concerns around naming and branding e.g. use of trademarks that are outside of the scope of
the license but which the Selenium developers may have guidelines/policies for.

Rob

From: Luv Luk <luv.n.luk.07@gmail.com>
Date: Thursday, 21 June 2018 at 11:11
To: <legal-discuss@apache.org>
Subject: Question regarding Selenium license

Hello,

As understood from online sources, Selenium is licensed under Apache license.  https://www.seleniumhq.org/about/license.jsp

I would like to understand below points and will really appreciate if you can clarify my doubts:

·         Can i build a new software / application on top of selenium using its existing
functionalities?

·         Can i charge amount for new software by considering extra efforts that i am planning
to invest to provide features etc...

·         Understand that selenium is free and open source and giving full flexibility for
modification. But If i am charging amount, is there anything i have to share with Selenium?

·         Are there any other legal aspects?

Please amend if anything is important from legal perspective.

Thanks

Rakesh