www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Source headers and Apache SGA: Is that sufficient permission?
Date Wed, 12 Oct 2011 21:57:24 GMT
We're taking the contributed OpenOffice code through the IP review.
One thing we need to do is update the headers in the
Oracle-contributed source files to reflect the Apache 2.0 license.
There is some information on this process on the "ASF Source header
and Copyright Notice" page [1], but I'm having difficulty determining
whether we can go forward with this yet.

The section on "Source File Headers for Code Developed at the ASF" states:

"1. If the source file is submitted with a copyright notice included
in it, the copyright owner (or owner's agent) must either:

    1. remove such notices, or
    2. move them to the NOTICE file associated with each applicable
project release, or
    3. provide written permission for the ASF to make such removal or
relocation of the notices."

But the SGA [2] clearly gives us permission to created derivative
works.  Does that not include permissions to change headers (of course
within bounds of the license permitted by the SGA)?

So my question boils down to this:   Does the SGA give us sufficient
permission (per 3 above) to replace Oracle's headers with the ALv2?
Or do should we be seeking, in writing, an additional document from
Oracle.  If the later, do we have a form for this?

Regards,

-Rob

[1] http://www.apache.org/legal/src-headers.html
[2] http://www.apache.org/licenses/software-grant.txt