www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Henri Yandell <bay...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Section 4.2, and patch build workflows
Date Mon, 25 Apr 2011 05:55:59 GMT
On Sun, Apr 24, 2011 at 5:32 PM, Benson Margulies <bimargulies@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 24, 2011 at 8:25 PM, Henri Yandell <bayard@apache.org> wrote:
>> * "You must cause any modified files to carry prominent notices stating
>>  that You changed the files"
>>

>> Interesting question. Normally I would include the patch file and
>> modify the NOTICE to indicate a change was made. I think AL 2.0 has
>> already crossed the bridge of whether a file is independent of its
>> NOTICE (ie it isn't). The modified file has a prominent notice that
>> links to the license and that then points to the NOTICE file which
>> explains the change.
>
> If you're a lawyer (cause I'm not) I'm about to make a nonsense, but still,
>
> The plain English sense of 'cause any ... files to carry prominent
> notices'  -- to me -- requires a marking in the file. If it wanted
> your interpretation, I'd think that it had to say, 'cause ... to carry
> prominent notices or to be accompanied by a NOTICE file ... containing
> ...'

Every file points to the NOTICE file (via its LICENSE) in a prominent
way. The weakness in my suggestion is (imo) not in the prominent part,
but in the LICENSE itself which only indicates NOTICE files being for
attribution/copyright indication. I think that we can consider
identifying the modifications to be an area of attribution.

The technical issue with my suggestion is that someone copying a file
may lose the indication that a change has occurred. They'll also lose
any necessary copyright indication/attribution in the NOTICE file as
well, which I think is more important. By putting this in the NOTICE
file we put both of the items they're meant to identify when re-using,
while maintaining a sane technical solution.

Hen