www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Greg Stein <gst...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Apache project moving externally
Date Fri, 04 Feb 2011 20:11:47 GMT
On Fri, Feb 4, 2011 at 14:46, Marvin Humphrey <marvin@rectangular.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 04, 2011 at 02:15:20PM -0500, Greg Stein wrote:
>> With the rights from the CLAs and software grants... yes, we can
>> pretty much license the code however we like.
>
> Not all contributions come from someone with a CLA or Software Grant on file,
> though.  Such contributions would fall under section 5 of the ASL2:
>
>  5. Submission of Contributions. Unless You explicitly state otherwise, any
>  Contribution intentionally submitted for inclusion in the Work by You to the
>  Licensor shall be under the terms and conditions of this License, without
>  any additional terms or conditions. Notwithstanding the above, nothing
>  herein shall supersede or modify the terms of any separate license agreement
>  you may have executed with Licensor regarding such Contributions.
>
> Does that passage allow relicensing by the ASF, as recipient of such
> contributions?

Good point. It's a very grey area, I grant you.

Certainly, the ASF is always going to stick with something in spirit
to the ALv2. Any "v3" is going to be evolutionary rather than a
philosophical change, so the Contributions clause will always work for
us. If we grant our rights to another non-profit, could they switch to
(say) GPL? Unclear.

Cheers,
-g