www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net>
Subject Re: Apache project moving externally
Date Fri, 04 Feb 2011 17:40:15 GMT
2011/2/4 "C. Bergström" <codestr0m@osunix.org>:
> Hi
>
> There's an Apache project that has somewhat stalled in development and a
> small group of developers are interested to take up ownership.  Has a
> handover ever been known to happen or is such a thing possible if the
> leaders for the project agree to it?  By this I mean like transferring some
> rights over to SPI or another FOSS oriented non-profit.

First, I would like to point out that the Apache License, Version 2
makes the code available under very generous terms; generally forks
are allowed without even asking our permission -- as long as you
follow the terms of the license.

That being said, if there is no interest in the code base being
developed at the ASF, and the PMC in charge of that code base can move
the project to the attic here and continue the development elsewhere.
An example of this occurred last year:

http://ibatis.apache.org/

> Thanks
>
> ./C