www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Greg Stein <gst...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Apache project moving externally
Date Fri, 04 Feb 2011 20:15:03 GMT
2011/2/4 "C. Bergström" <codestr0m@osunix.org>:
> Greg Stein wrote:
>> But. We cannot transfer those rights to individuals or corporations.
>> We can only transfer them to another non-profit.
>
> Once again outside of my original question I wasn't even sure if the ASF
> board would consider such a transfer.  For example to an educational
> institute (University of Illinois), SPI or maybe one of the BSD foundations.

We would only consider the transfer if it came from the community in
question, where that whole community wants to pick up and leave. I do
not think we would fulfill this request to somebody simply asking for
rights to one of our projects. (this is my impression of the Board's
response, as a Director myself)

Which project are you thinking of? If it is one of our Attic projects,
then the Board might be fine with it. If one of our TLPs, then we need
a discussion of just how "dead" that project is, and what the existing
community thinks of such a grant.

Cheers,
-g