www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Viability of Jenkins entering the ASF
Date Mon, 07 Feb 2011 14:08:49 GMT
On 07/02/2011 13:10, Sam Ruby wrote:
> 2011/2/7 Arnaud Héritier<arnaud.heritier@exoplatform.com>:
>> Fill free to contribute the thread
>> : https://groups.google.com/d/topic/jenkinsci-dev/T9ZatgO9Zr0/discussion
>> I think that all point of view are interesting to have.
>
> Looks like a healthy discussion.  Given that the context is Jenkins, I
> find it amusing that somebody brought up that a founder could be
> overruled by the community as a potential "issue".

Yes. I bit my tongue on that one. However, I do understand where the the
concern comes from. Lots of people think the ASF is about giving control
to just anyone and I suspect that is what is going on here.

> It is clear to me that this project would require incubation,

Agreed. I'm worried about the tendencies towards various forms of BD.
I'll address that in the incubator list if the Jenkins team choose to
explore beyond their own list.

> including ip-clearance, but as to the original question: I see no
> reason that we couldn't release a derived work under the terms of the
> Apache License while still complying with the original MIT terms.
> Doing so would not require us to get permission from anybody -- in
> fact, that's the point of having an open source license.

Thank you

Ross

rgardler@apache.org
@rgardler