www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From "Geir Magnusson Jr." <g...@pobox.com>
Subject Re: Viability of Jenkins entering the ASF
Date Mon, 07 Feb 2011 22:58:41 GMT
It became clear to me in my discussions w/ Oracle at the end of the TCK dispute that there
lawyers are very protective of IP, and even more so when it's uncertain what they would be
licensing....

geir

On Feb 7, 2011, at 5:50 PM, Jérôme Verstrynge wrote:

> About Oracle signing the paperwork to let Jenkins migrate to ASF: the JXTA project is
facing exactly the same issue...

> In October 2010, Oracle officially announced it withdrew from the JXTA project (not a
surprise). We (the JXTA community) asked to move the code from Apache licence 1.1 to 2.0 and
asked them to sign software grant for the transfer to ASF under project Chaupal. The answer
was: 'we need to review our IP'. After nearly 5 months, we still have not received an answer.
Oracle needs 5 months to check their IP? Yeah, sure...!!!

> Oracle is in conflict with ASF on Java TCK. Hudson is in conflict with Oracle regarding
Jenkins. We are not in conflict with Oracle and obtained nothing from Oracle. Hence, I hardly
believe Jenkins will obtain anything from Oracle. I am not saying Jenkins should not try,
but chances are slim...

> My 2 cents,
>
> Jérôme Verstrynge
>

> On 7/02/2011 2:16, Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:
>> I'd guess that there's ZERO chance of ORCA going along with this.
>>
>> That said, I'm all for it.  Let me know if there's anything I can do to help.
>>
>> geir
>>
>> On Feb 6, 2011, at 6:52 PM, Ross Gardler wrote:
>>> Over on the Jenkins (nee Hudson) list there is a discussion about moving to the
ASF. This is at an early stage right now and it is not at all clear if they will do so. However,
there may be a legal block to this and I'd just like to run it past legal-discuss

>>> Oracle apparently own the copyright on Jenkins code. It is licensed under an
MIT licence.

>>> If Oracle refused to sign the legal paperwork would this prevent Jenkins entering
the incubator?

>>> NOTE: as far as I am aware nobody has asked Oracle about this yet - they may
not refuse. I'm just trying to avoid a pointless conversation if we would be unable to work
this.