www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Marvin Humphrey <mar...@rectangular.com>
Subject Re: Apache project moving externally
Date Fri, 04 Feb 2011 19:46:14 GMT
On Fri, Feb 04, 2011 at 02:15:20PM -0500, Greg Stein wrote:
> With the rights from the CLAs and software grants... yes, we can
> pretty much license the code however we like.

Not all contributions come from someone with a CLA or Software Grant on file,
though.  Such contributions would fall under section 5 of the ASL2:

  5. Submission of Contributions. Unless You explicitly state otherwise, any
  Contribution intentionally submitted for inclusion in the Work by You to the
  Licensor shall be under the terms and conditions of this License, without
  any additional terms or conditions. Notwithstanding the above, nothing
  herein shall supersede or modify the terms of any separate license agreement
  you may have executed with Licensor regarding such Contributions.

Does that passage allow relicensing by the ASF, as recipient of such
contributions?

Marvin Humphrey