www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From "Niclas Hedhman" <nic...@hedhman.org>
Subject Re: Any legal issues with Google Analytics?
Date Fri, 24 Oct 2008 06:52:08 GMT
On Wed, Oct 22, 2008 at 2:18 PM, Marshall Schor <msa@schor.com> wrote:

> Another option for users (using Firefox, at least), is to install
> browser plugins like http://noscript.net and put google analytics on the
> "prohibit" list.

But, this is ridiculous. Google's "power" doesn't come from knowing
"my" browsing habits (at least not at the moment). It comes from the
aggregated information of millions of people "who don't care". Even if
30% of the population blocked GA (much larger than I think ever
would), it is still a powerful tool for Google and the interests it
sells this information to.

We have all contributed to making this possible, and nothing short of
Legislative intervention (or a concerted effort of Microsoft and
Firefox) can stop it now.

The above tricks will come in handy when Google is taking it to the
next level, and Google sleeps in my bed.

Cheers
Niclas