www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Simon Kitching <skitch...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Incorporating Jakarta library in my program
Date Tue, 21 Oct 2008 12:49:55 GMT
Roy T. Fielding schrieb:
> First, making GPL changes to an existing non-GPL product is stupid.
> Sorry, there is no other way to describe it.  When I make changes
> to another person's product, I always license the changes under the
> same terms as the original because it is extremely rare for
> such changes to actually qualify as separately copyrightable and
> without a separate copyright I have no right to change the terms.
> Besides, it will annoy the original programmers.
Just a note: Hendrik is currently working with the apache commons
developers to merge his changes into the relevant libs under the AL. So
this discussion is presumably just about what to do until the changes
are merged (or if they are not). It's not so easy to merge, because
Hendrik's changes *are* significant: it ports the code from java1.4 to
java1.5 (adding generics etc), thereby breaking backwards compatibility
with java 1.4 and earlier.

Regards,
Simon