www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Hendrik Maryns <hendrik.mar...@uni-tuebingen.de>
Subject Re: Incorporating Jakarta library in my program
Date Tue, 21 Oct 2008 10:36:57 GMT
Sam Ruby schreef:
> On Fri, Oct 17, 2008 at 9:04 AM, Hendrik Maryns
> <hendrik.maryns@uni-tuebingen.de> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I read the license itself,
>> http://www.apache.org/foundation/licence-FAQ.html#WhatDoesItMEAN and
>> some more links, but things are still not clear to me.  I am afraid the
>> FAQ needs to be even more specific.  Particularly, Wikipedia
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apache_License states
>>
>> The ASF approved an update to the Apache License 2.0 in January 2004.
>> The stated goals of the license included making the license easier for
>> non-ASF projects to use, improving compatibility with GPL-based
>> software, allowing the license to be included by reference instead of
>> listed in every file, clarifying the license on contributions, and
>> requiring a patent license on contributions that necessarily infringe a
>> contributor's own patents.[2]
>>
>> But I can't find this in the license.

Can somebody confirm or reject this, and maybe also edit/comment on the
Wikipedia article, such that confusion like this can be avoided?
Particularly, the [2] they refer to is http://www.apache.org/licenses/,
but I cannot find that information there, or probably I am
misinterpreting stuff.

>> I will include the whole jar
>> in my own jar.
>>
>> The license said that I have to include the file called LICENSE in the
>> top directory of my program, but that would give the (incorrect!)
>> impression that I want to release my program under the Apache license as
>> well, whereas it is GPLv3.  Also, do I really have to copy the NOTICE
>> file over there, can't I include its contents in e.g. the AUTHORS file
>> which I already have, following the example from GNU projects?

> You might find the following to be helpful: http://lwn.net/Articles/248223/

Indeed, thanks, but I am afraid I am in situation 2, which unfortunately
contains no specific guidelines.

Let me explain my problem again: if I include the jar into my jar, the
jar program takes over the files LICENSE and NOTICE from the META-INF
directory, which are put there by the CLI build system.  However, If
people were to look inside my jar (without going to the website, because
there it is clearly indicated that I use GPL3), they would then come
under the false impression that I use the Apache license, since they
will see a file LICENSE, open it and see the Apache license.  Please
give some advice on how to avoid this confusion.  E.g. can I rename the
file Apache-LICENSE or something.  The NOTICE file is also included
there, but that is fine.  For example, I could put the file COPYING
there as well, as usual in GNU projects.

Wait a moment, on second reading, I see no obligation to include the
LICENSE file, only the NOTICE file.  Then it’s easy: I replace the
LICENSE file with COPYING and leave NOTICE intact.  Am I correct here?

I suppose there will be no way around putting a notice in each file I
changed, but I am fine with that.

Also, people are able to check out code from my svn repo.  If they do
that, they will get a CLI jar as produced by its build file, so there I
think it is enough that the NOTICE and LICENSE files are in the metadata
directory, since the other files are only class files, which are binary,
so my changes cannot be recognized anyway.  I do not have the changed
CLI files in my repo, I only have a working copy of the Apache repo
(since I hope my files will be incorporated there, see
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CLI-173).  Does that fit the line
‘You must cause any modified files to carry prominent notices stating
that You changed the files;’?  I am not totally sure since it doesn’t
speak of “source form” explicitly.  Or should I include a line in the
NOTICE file claiming that I edited some files (and which?), or maybe
somewhere else?

Hm, sorry, this has gotten a bit chaotic now.  Feel free to ask for
clarification.

TIA, H.
--
Hendrik Maryns