www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Matt Benson <gudnabr...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Does re-writing a piece of code mean you need to keep the old license?
Date Wed, 07 May 2008 17:08:02 GMT

--- Doug Cutting <cutting@apache.org> wrote:

> Algorithms are not
> patentable

Ah... my mistake.  My implication to the contrary was
based on e.g. mathematical books that prohibit the
implementation of algorithms expressed in their text
without express permission.  While this practice
doesn't explicitly declare a patent, it is suggestive
that permission to use an algorithm is not a given.
Of course, it may well be the case that these types of
notices in books are not very defensible; I wouldn't
know.

-Matt

Be a better friend, newshound, and