www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From "Sam Ruby" <ru...@intertwingly.net>
Subject Re: Apache License 2.0
Date Sat, 29 Mar 2008 17:51:50 GMT
On Fri, Mar 28, 2008 at 11:57 PM, Roy T. Fielding <fielding@gbiv.com> wrote:
> On Mar 28, 2008, at 6:23 PM, Craig L Russell wrote:
>
>  > Would it be possible to ask our SFLC buddies to write a piece that
>  > specifically applies to the current version of the Apache license?
>
>  No.  Craig, what is the point of this interrogation?  The license is
>  clear, our intent is clear, and if Sun wants to act like complete
>  idiots in regard to how it interacts with this community then it
>  doesn't matter what the license says -- they'll do so anyway.  So Sun
>  can either obey the license as intended, at no cost to itself, or it
>  can bloody well hope that one of the copyright owners outside Sun
>  doesn't get pissed off and sue them for infringement on every copy
>  ever downloaded from Glassfish.  We certainly aren't going to help Sun
>  avoid the most reasonably expected condition that everyone agreed to
>  while participating in our projects and that every other company
>  (aside from old JBoss) manages to obey on their redistributions.

1) I don't know that Craig is asking on behalf of Glassfish.  Craig
does happen to work at Sun, but that does not imply a connection to
me.

2) Glassfish did summarily remove all ASF headers from all Jasper
code[1][2] in the Glassfish SVN over two years ago, which I consider a
violation of the license.  Sun (not Craig, other people at Sun) have
been asked numerous times to restore the headers.  I have been
reporting on the lack of progress on this issue to the board for the
last several months, and such minutes are now public.  One of the
it to say that I was neither convinced nor pleased by such a
statement.  Since then, my last several emails have not so much as
even received a response.  Craig, if this is something you can help
with, I would appreciate it.  In fact, I will copy you on my next
note.

3) I would be glad to ask the SFLC to get involved.  But be aware that
the request would be to have them draft language which indicates
exactly how one incorporates Works licensed under Apache License,
Version 2.0 into a code base that is licensed subject to the terms of
either the GNU General Public License Version 2 only ("GPL") or the
Common Development and Distribution License("CDDL").

- Sam Ruby

[1] https://glassfish.dev.java.net/source/browse/glassfish/appserv-webtier/src/java/org/apache/jasper/JasperException.java?rev=1.3&r1=1.1&r2=1.2