www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From David Crossley <cross...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Summarizing how we dot the i's
Date Fri, 28 Mar 2008 02:15:33 GMT
Niall Pemberton wrote:

> Also Point IV only refers only to JIRA issue tracking. We still have
> projects using Bugzilla where AFAIK there is no 'Grant license to ASF"
> checkbox - but we still accept contributions that way.

It is my understanding that any contribution, via either
mailing list or an issue tracker, is for inclusion unless
the originator explicitly says "Not a contribution".

In fact, the LICENSE-2.0 text explicitly says so under
the definition of Contribution and goes further. It is
dangerous to try to summarise these things.

That Jira checkbox intends to makes it easier for them
to specify not a contribution. I find it to be misleading.
It should be the other way around, and it should link
directly to the definition of contribution. Why do we need
a checkbox at all? They can say so in their comment.

-David