www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Robert Burrell Donkin <rdon...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Apache License 2.0
Date Sun, 30 Mar 2008 11:05:17 GMT
On Sat, 2008-03-29 at 13:51 -0400, Sam Ruby wrote:

<snip>

> 3) I would be glad to ask the SFLC to get involved.  But be aware that
> the request would be to have them draft language which indicates
> exactly how one incorporates Works licensed under Apache License,
> Version 2.0 into a code base that is licensed subject to the terms of
> either the GNU General Public License Version 2 only ("GPL") or the
> Common Development and Distribution License("CDDL").

involving the SFLC would be a good move

i do not think that we need to presuppose that they will judge that
AL2.0'd code can be reasonably incorporated into a GPL2.0'd codebase. we
should therefore ask them to draft guidance on the subject covering when
and whether it is possible, and (if or when possible) the right way to
do it.

AIUI the FSF is of the opinion that AL2.0 cannot be incorporated into a
work licensed under the GPL. it would be courteous to inform them were
we to take this to the SFLC.

- robert