weex-dev mailing list archives

From "Sally Khudairi" ...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Weex Way - an Apache Incubator Project's experience
Date Thu, 23 May 2019 03:14:38 GMT
Thank *you* and the Weex podling! #TeamWork :-)

- - -
Vice President Marketing & Publicity
Vice President Sponsor Relations
The Apache Software Foundation

Tel +1 617 921 8656 | sk@apache.org

On Wed, May 22, 2019, at 20:13, 申远 wrote:
> Thanks for your effort and help, Sally.
>
> Best Regards,
> YorkShen
>
> 申远
>

> Sally Khudairi <sk@apache.org> 于2019年5月21日周二 上午8:56写道:
>> Hello everyone --we are live:
>>
>>  - ASF "Foundation" Blog https://s.apache.org/9Qbv
>>  - @TheASF Twitter feed https://twitter.com/TheASF/status/1130620699519754241
>>  - The ASF on LinkedIn https://www.linkedin.com/company/the-apache-software-foundation
>>
>>  ...plus sent to announce@ and our dedicated media/analyst list. This will appear
on the apache.org homepage and archives within the hour.

>>  Many thanks again for all your help!
>>
>>  Warmly,
>>  Sally
>>
>>  - - -
>>  Vice President Marketing & Publicity
>>  Vice President Sponsor Relations
>>  The Apache Software Foundation
>>
>>  Tel +1 617 921 8656 | sk@apache.org
>>
>>  On Thu, Apr 4, 2019, at 10:04, Sally Khudairi wrote:
>>  > No worries, York. We can wait until your return.
>>  >
>>  > Enjoy the hike :-)
>>  >
>>  > Kind regards,
>>  > Sally
>>  >
>>  > - - -
>>  > Vice President Marketing & Publicity
>>  > Vice President Sponsor Relations
>>  > The Apache Software Foundation
>>  >
>>  > Tel +1 617 921 8656 | sk@apache.org
>>  >
>>  > On Thu, Apr 4, 2019, at 12:52, 申远 wrote:
>>  > > Thanks for your reply.
>>  > >
>>  > > As I am on a hiking activity until the end of this week, it’s hard for

>>  > > me to finish the editing at current situation. I think I shall get back

>>  > > and work on the draft early next week.
>>  > >
>>  > > Best Regards,
>>  > > York Shen
>>  > >
>>  > > 申远
>>  > >
>>  > > > 在 2019年4月4日,08:49,Sally Khudairi <sk@apache.org>
写道:
>>  > > >
>>  > > > Hello again, YorkShen --I hope you are well.
>>  > > >
>>  > > > Please accept my apologies for the delay in getting back to you.
The activities surrounding the ASF's 20th Anniversary took a bit longer than anticipated and
I'm getting caught up now.
some minor edits. Please review the copy at https://docs.google.com/document/d/1phSie8Ie8JXbCeFQ4FpXGIMoBZmdLjo9VJhtbvkBu7g/edit?usp=sharing
>>  > > >
>>  > > > Do let me know if there's anything else you'd like to add. For example,
I noticed on the Weex Website that you have a great number of users! That's excellent! Perhaps
we share an approximate number how many companies are using Weex?
>>  > > >
>>  > > > Also, if we are able to finish editing soon, we can publish this
post early next week if you'd like.
>>  > > >
>>  > > > I look forward to hearing your thoughts.
>>  > > >
>>  > > > Many kind regards,
>>  > > > Sally
>>  > > >
>>  > > > - - -
>>  > > > Vice President Marketing & Publicity
>>  > > > Vice President Sponsor Relations
>>  > > > The Apache Software Foundation
>>  > > >
>>  > > > Tel +1 617 921 8656 | sk@apache.org
>>  > > >
>>  > > >
>>  > > >> On Tue, Mar 19, 2019, at 00:50, Sally Khudairi wrote:
>>  > > >> Hello again, YorkShen.
>>  > > >>
>>  > > >> I appreciate your efforts: this is a well thought-out post with
some very good points.
>>  > > >>
>>  > > >> I'd like to make some minor edits. Are you able to access Google
Docs? If not, I can write them here in email.
>>  > > >>
>>  > > >> Again, these are very minor (as I don't want to put words in
your mouth, or change the tone to a "corporate" piece). For example:
>>  > > >>
>>  > > >>> from beginning to nowadays
>>  > > >>
>>  > > >> I'd suggest changing to "from the beginning to the present day"
or "to today". Small things.
>>  > > >>
>>  > > >> Do let me know what works best for you.
>>  > > >>
>>  > > >> Many kind regards,
>>  > > >> Sally
>>  > > >>
>>  > > >>
>>  > > >> - - -
>>  > > >> Vice President Marketing & Publicity
>>  > > >> Vice President Sponsor Relations
>>  > > >> The Apache Software Foundation
>>  > > >>
>>  > > >> Tel +1 617 921 8656 | sk@apache.org
>>  > > >>
>>  > > >>
>>  > > >>> On Mon, Mar 18, 2019, at 03:14, 申远 wrote:
>>  > > >>> About a month ago, I promised to write an article for Apache
20th Anniversary on behalf of Weex. I have finished the work until today. The content is shown
below. Feel free to give any comment or feedback.
>>  > > >>>
>>  > > >>> Introduction
>>  > > >
>>  > > >>> I am a Project Management Committee ( *PMC* ) member of *Apache
Weex* ( *Incubating* ), a cross platform mobile development framework, widely used in many
mobile Apps, among top of which have nearly 0.7 billion MAU( *Monthly Active Users* ).
>>  > > >
>>  > > >>> Weex <https://weex.apache.org/> became an open source
project in early 2016 and joined the Apache Incubator in Dec, 2016. As a Project Management
Committee member, I go though with the project from beginning to nowadays, it is an exciting
journey mixed with challenge and suffering, and the journey is not end yet.
>>  > > >
>>  > > >>> Challenge
>>  > > >
>>  > > >>>> This is not the end. It is not even the beginning of
the end. But it is, perhaps, the end of the beginning. - Winston Churchill
>>  > > >
>>  > > >>> As ASF <https://www.apache.org/> ( *Apache Software
Foundation* ) divides its projects into two types, namely TLP <https://blogs.apache.org/foundation/entry/incubation_at_apache_what_s>
( *Top Level Project* ) and Incubator Project <https://incubator.apache.org/>, joining
Apache Incubator is the end. Instead, it is just a beginning.
>>  > > >
>>  > > >>> Community
>>  > > >
>>  > > >>> As a project under ASF, Weex should and would do things under
the Apache Way <https://www.apache.org/foundation/how-it-works.html#philosophy>. But
as one might imagine, there are lots of problems Weex has to solve:
>>  > > >
>>  > > >>> * It is said that *If it didn't happen on a mailing list,
it didn't happen*. While Weex was developed by Alibaba Inc. and donated to ASF, it is not
surprising that some contributors and committers of Weex are full-time employees of Alibaba
Inc. Therefore, there was plenty number of internal IM and Face to Face communication, which
is not an Apache way.
>>  > > >>> * Many of Weex contributors and users are Chinese, they preferred
Chinese to communicate, report bugs and write document, which is not a typical Apache Way.
>>  > > >>> Engineering and Product
>>  > > >
>>  > > >>> There are some technical issue due to the feature of Weex:
>>  > > >
>>  > > >>> * It is known to all that Android and iOS System got upgrade
each year, therefore feature and API also got updates each year. Weex is a cross platform
framework and designed to provide mobile feature with Front-End Technology, it is not a easy
task to map these Java (*for Android system*) and Objective-C (*for iOS system*) API to Front-End
world, and yearly updates of the systems makes it even harder.
>>  > > >>> * The users of Weex are Front-End Engineers while the contributors
and committers are Android and iOS developers, there is a technological stack gap between
users and Weex contributors.
>>  > > >>> * The active committers of Weex is not enough, it is hard
to maintain a project that provides Operating System API with no more than ten active committers.
>>  > > >>> Weex Way
>>  > > >
>>  > > >>>> Open source is more than just code.
>>  > > >
>>  > > >>> There are two repositories for Weex, one is before the donation
to ASF, the other is after that. And there are are nearly 30 thousand stars among these two
repositories. What an exciting number. But *Open source is more than just code*, it is about
more.
governance structures <https://opensource.guide/leadership-and-governance/#what-are-some-of-the-common-governance-structures-for-open-source-projects>:
>>  > > >
>>  > > >>> * BDFL
>>  > > >>> * Meritocracy
>>  > > >>> * Liberal contribution
>>  > > >>> ASF is an endeavor to *Meritocracy*, in which *community
is over code.*
>>  > > >
>>  > > >>> Mailing List
>>  > > >
>>  > > >>>> If it didn't happen on a mailing list, it didn't happen.
>>  > > >
>>  > > >>> As it is mentioned above, many Weex contributors and committers
are employees of commercial companies, and some of their companies even prefer Weex in their
production environment. Therefore we, as employees receive a great deal of feature request
from coworker, some of them might even choose face to face conversation to discuss new feature.
>>  > > >
>>  > > >>> Code commits without discussion in mailing list is not Weex
PMC's want, not Apache Way either. Therefore PMC of weex have made some rules to make thing
right:
>>  > > >
>>  > > >>> * Dev@ mailing list is the only official communication channel,
all features must be discussed in the mailing list before coding except tiny bugfix like fixing
a null pointer exception.
>>  > > >>> * Move Github PR and Issue from dev@ to a separate mailing
list to avoid noise.
>>  > > >>> Decision Making
>>  > > >
>>  > > >>> Weex is owned by ASF and developed by a group of developers.
It is important to follow the Consensus building and Voting procedure. The procedure is transparent
and search engine friendly to all users in the world. It is normal that someone stops to maintain
a project due to interest change or work change, a project fullfils the previous procedure
is more robust against developers changes as current developers can search for the corresponding
mails and have a better understanding of what is happening there.
>>  > > >
>>  > > >>> By default, the official language used in Apache mailing
list is English, but it is problems for Weex as many users of Weex are Chinese who are not
good at communicating in English. Therefore, enthusiastic contributors of Weex would always
prefer *Google Translate* to translate Chinese to English to let others known what is happening,
and politely remind the original author to use Chinese next time. It is a time consuming and
tedious job to translate others' post, but it is worthy to let the world understand what is
happening here.
>>  > > >
>>  > > >>> *In fact, there is a discussion <https://www.mail-archive.com/general@incubator.apache.org/msg57218.html>
about language used in mailing list.*
>>  > > >
>>  > > >>> Engineering and Product
>>  > > >
>>  > > >>> Infrastructure
>>  > > >
>>  > > >>> There are many users that prefer Weex in their commercial
product, among top of which have nearly 0.7 billion MAU. In such cases, stable is our priority,
as 99.999% availability only means that ten thousands of our end users got problems.
>>  > > >
>>  > > >>> Therefore, we choose minus feature from Weex instead of adding
features:
>>  > > >
>>  > > >>> * The priority of Weex is stable, which means only bugfix
is allowed
>>  > > >>> * New feature imported to Weex as a plugin, developers can
choose enable or disable a certain plugin.
>>  > > >>> Developers' Feedback
>>  > > >
>>  > > >>> We also make a feedback convention <https://weex.apache.org/guide/contribute/how-to-contribute.html#ask-or-answer-questions>
between our users and contributors to get users' problem solved efficiently.
template <https://github.com/apache/incubator-weex/issues/new>