uima-user mailing list archives

From Marshall Schor <...@schor.com>
Subject Re: Performance degradation in UIMA3
Date Mon, 29 Jun 2020 13:37:15 GMT
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/UIMA-6249

On 6/29/2020 8:32 AM, Marshall Schor wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Thanks for this. Investigating... -Marshall
>

> On 6/29/2020 6:15 AM, Augusto Ribeiro Silva wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I am writing because I noticed that our pipelines got considerably slower after updating
to UIMA3. The cause of the slowdown seems to be the fact that the method getJCasRegisteredType
located in TypeSystemImpl uses a synchronised block. We haven't noticed it before but when
I was running a pipeline in a large machine (48 cores with 80 worker threads) many of the
threads were blocked in this specific method.

>> I just wanted to point that this is a big problem for us and I am not sure if you
are aware or if there is some workaround. I am at this point considering packaging our own
version of UIMA without the synchronised block since our types are not dynamic and should
be loaded when the pipeline starts so it is unlikely that we need the synchronised access
to the type registry.

>> Best regards,
>> Augusto

>> Disclaimer:
>> This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and directed solely
for the use of the intended addressee or addressees and may contain information that is legally
privileged, confidential, and exempt from disclosure. If you have received this email in error,
please notify the sender by telephone, fax, or return email and immediately delete this email
and any files transmitted along with it. Unintended recipients are not authorized to disclose,
disseminate, distribute, copy or take any action in reliance on information contained in this
email and/or any files attached thereto, in any manner other than to notify the sender; any
unauthorized use is subject to legal prosecution.