uima-user mailing list archives

From Augusto Ribeiro Silva <augusto.si...@cactusglobal.com>
Subject Performance degradation in UIMA3
Date Mon, 29 Jun 2020 11:15:40 GMT
Hi all,

I am writing because I noticed that our pipelines got considerably slower after updating to
UIMA3. The cause of the slowdown seems to be the fact that the method getJCasRegisteredType
located in TypeSystemImpl uses a synchronised block. We haven't noticed it before but when
I was running a pipeline in a large machine (48 cores with 80 worker threads) many of the
threads were blocked in this specific method.

I just wanted to point that this is a big problem for us and I am not sure if you are aware
or if there is some workaround. I am at this point considering packaging our own version of
UIMA without the synchronised block since our types are not dynamic and should be loaded when
the pipeline starts so it is unlikely that we need the synchronised access to the type registry.

Best regards,
Augusto

Disclaimer:
This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and directed solely for the
use of the intended addressee or addressees and may contain information that is legally privileged,
confidential, and exempt from disclosure. If you have received this email in error, please
notify the sender by telephone, fax, or return email and immediately delete this email and
any files transmitted along with it. Unintended recipients are not authorized to disclose,
disseminate, distribute, copy or take any action in reliance on information contained in this
email and/or any files attached thereto, in any manner other than to notify the sender; any
unauthorized use is subject to legal prosecution.