uima-user mailing list archives

From Peter Klügl <peter.klu...@averbis.com>
Subject Re: Erratic nullpointer exceptions because feature structure has no type in Ruta
Date Wed, 05 Feb 2020 07:41:49 GMT
Hi,

thank you very much for this analysis! I am glad that your problem is
hopefully resolved.

The missing reset of the annotation-based variables was considered a bug
(UIMA-5888) and was resolved in Ruta 2.7.0.

For Ruta 2.8.0, there were several improvements for handling null
values, e.g., UIMA-5663 and UIMA-5481.

I have to check the code, but I think null as an initial value should be
the default now, at least for annotation and string variables.

Best,

Peter

Am 05.02.2020 um 00:02 schrieb Mario Juric:
> Hi,
>
> I like to follow up on this one, which I posted a while ago, since the
> cause of the issue has finally been identified.
>
> It turns out that it was caused by uninitialised Ruta annotation
> variables. Ruta doesn’t seem to allow an annotation variable to be set
> null at the point of declaration or later, so we assumed that it would
> implicitly be initialised to null during script execution for every
> new CAS, but this is not the case in Ruta 2.6.1. The variable would
> hold a reference to an annotation from the previous CAS when it hasn’t
> been assigned a new value from the new CAS, because the rule that
> makes the assignment is never fired.
>
> I have illustrated this using the attached example code where a
> CasRuntimeException is the result with Ruta 2.6.1, but the problem
> seems solved in Ruta 2.8.0. This exception could in our full setup
> sometimes trigger a NullpointerException during exception handling,
> which is what I first reported. I assume the problem would be gone in
> Ruta 3.0.0 as well.
>
> I think the matter can be considered closed, although we are not
> through with all tests yet. I wonder though if it would generally be
> useful to allow the null value to be assigned to annotation variables.
>

> Cheers,
> Mario
>

>> On 11 Nov 2019, at 22:19 , Mario Juric <mj@unsilo.ai
>> <mailto:mj@unsilo.ai>> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Peter,
>>
>> Ruta version is 2.7.0 with UIMA version 2.10.2 in this setup.
>>
>> We are to best of my knowledge not trying to access any internal Ruta
>> objects and there is nothing that makes any covered text assignments.
>>
>> Cheers Mario
>>

>>> On 11 Nov 2019, at 11:13 , Peter Klügl <peter.kluegl@averbis.com
>>> <mailto:peter.kluegl@averbis.com>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>

>>> and which version of UIMA Ruta?
>>>

>>> Do you access internal Ruta objects somehow?
>>>
>>> Do you (by accident) try to assign covered text?
>>>

>>> Best,
>>>

>>> Peter

>>> --
>>> Dr. Peter Klügl