uima-user mailing list archives

From ThanhDK <than...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Best approach for analyzing a set of documents
Date Fri, 04 Oct 2013 06:09:26 GMT
Thanks Marshall for your detailed response. Really appreciate it.

I have a few more inquiries:

> Later, UIMA introduced the concept of a CAS Multiplier.  This generalized the
> Collection Reader a bit, allowing it to be anywhere in a pipeline, not just at
> the beginning.

Thanks for the info. I had a look at the CAS Multiplier and saw that it
implements the interface AnalysisComponent
http://uima.apache.org/d/uimaj-2.4.2/apidocs/org/apache/uima/analysis_component/AnalysisComponent.html

So my question is what is the relationship between this interface and the
AnalysisEngine interface
http://uima.apache.org/d/uimaj-2.4.2/apidocs/org/apache/uima/analysis_engine/AnalysisEngine.html

Conceptually speaking, AE should be subclass of AC but this doesn't seem to
be the case?

> Later, it became clear that the Collection Reader and Cas Consumer were just
> parameterizations of normal Analysis Engines, so they were replaced by those.
> The older classes still work, though.

Do you mind elaborating on the "parameterizations" part?

> So the current way to do what your asking is to use an Analysis Engine
specified
> as a Cas Multiplier to generate the CASes flowing in the pipeline, and to
use an
> Analysis Engine set up like a Cas Consumer (for instance, specify the
properties
> in the <operationalProperties> element to indicate that
> multipleDeploymentAllowed is false (to cause all the CASes to flow into
this one
> instance, if that's what's needed).

Again, when you say AE specified as a CAS Multiplier, how does the
inheritance relationship work?

Thanks again for your help.

Regards