uima-user mailing list archives

From Eddie Epstein <eaepst...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: "Run as AS aggregate" and pre-fetching
Date Mon, 21 Oct 2013 12:57:43 GMT
In a core UIMA aggregate engine all annotators run in a single thread, and
the code length moving from one annotator to another is "small". When
deployed asynchronously, each annotator in a different thread, the code
length is much higher and there is thread switching overhead as well.

In my experience there are two generally successful approaches to deploying
UIMA-AS multithreaded.
The simplest is to keep the entire pipeline synchronous and deploy N
pipeline instances, each running in its own thread; this design is good for
high throughput.

The second approach deploys only the top level aggregate (and carefully
selected 2nd or 3rd level aggregates) with the idea that operations can
proceed in parallel and slower components be replicated; this design is
good for low latency. Note that asynchronous components can only operate in
parallel if they are working on different CASes, so the use of CAS
Multipliers each with a pool of CASes is needed.

It is best to keep aggregates synchronous unless there is a useful reason
not to.

Eddie

On Sat, Oct 19, 2013 at 1:25 PM, John David Osborne (Campus) <ozborn@uab.edu