uima-user mailing list archives

From Richard Eckart de Castilho <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: uimaFIT's TSD detection and jar bundles
Date Fri, 25 Oct 2013 16:41:15 GMT
As far as I know, there is currently no way to use uimaFIT type
system detection with fat jars build with Maven assemblies due
to the issues you describe. However, this not only applies to
uimaFIT, but also to other software with is designed in a similar
way, e.g. the Java Service Loader mechanism [1].

Afaik there are approaches which let you build a fat JAR with a custom
classloader which is loading from JARs embedded in the fat JAR [2]. I
didn't try them.

Another alternative that I have used already is, to have an assembly which
sets up a small "distribution" that comes with all the libraries in a
"lib" folder and an Ant script which serves as a bootloader.

Consider this a bug/problem with Maven assemblies, not with uimaFIT, since
placing well-known files in well-known locations is a usual habit (see also
OSGi bundles, the standard Java manifest files, etc. etc.).

Cheers,

-- Richard

[1] http://docs.oracle.com/javase/6/docs/api/java/util/ServiceLoader.html
[2] http://sonatype.github.io/jarjar-maven-plugin/