uima-user mailing list archives

From Shahim Essaid <sha...@essaid.com>
Subject Re: Obtaining the AnalysisEngine object from a primitive analysis component
Date Wed, 20 Feb 2013 21:48:18 GMT
Hi Richard,

Thank you for your answer. I was trying to avoid discussing the
details of the use case to avoid a lengthy email like this one :-) I
am still filling in some of the details of my use case but here is the
general idea.

I would like to add a primitive analysis engine to the end of any
pipeline and have this engine record all the information about the
pipeline and the CAS without additional configuration or application
modification. So, this engine needs to get all the information from
the specifier for the pipeline. This information will be recorded in
RDF as information about what I am calling the "implementation of an
analysis agent". An agent could be a person, an algorithm, a UIMA
pipeline, etc. and the engine I am adding to the end of a UIMA
pipeline will capture this information in a UIMA specific way and then
write it as RDF that is based on a general ontology I am developing.

Basically, I need to reach into the pipeline to collect as much
metadata as possible. I was able to find the URL of the primitive
specifiers in the configuration manager but I couldn't find the URL
for the top level engine. Also, the URL might not be available if the
pipeline is put together dynamically. I think what i need is the
metadata object for the top resource but I can't see a way to get hold
of that object. It is private but I can get it through reflection as
long as I can get hold of the top resource for a pipeline instance.

The log term goal that I am working on is the development of a generic
OWL/RDF model of content, annotations, interpretations, etc. that can
aggregate output from different tools with the main one being UIMA. I
am an informatics and formal semantics researcher and many researchers
and user in our domain need tools and solutions for generating and
aggregating such data in a common way and I am attempting to do this
in RDF. There are other pieces to my work but they are not directly
related to my UIMA questions.

Hope this helps clarify my earlier questions.

Best,
Shahim

On Wed, Feb 20, 2013 at 12:42 PM, Richard Eckart de Castilho
<eckart@ukp.informatik.tu-darmstadt.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> there shouldn't be any reason that an AE need to access its specified. Relevant information
should be accessible via the UimaContext (parameters and resources). I'd guess there is a
good chance that you are trying to solve a problem in an unsupported way that could be solved
better otherwise. It seems you do not tell us about your original problem, but rather about
a problem you ran into while trying to fix your original problem. What is the original problem?