uima-user mailing list archives

From Chris Roeder <chris.roe...@ucdenver.edu>
Subject Re: SimpleServer, & instantiating CAS with custom typesystem?
Date Wed, 20 Feb 2013 00:09:17 GMT
Hi Helen,

We use CAS views. Chapter six should help:
http://uima.apache.org/d/uimaj-2.4.0/tutorials_and_users_guides.pdf

We read the xml into one view and then have an annotator
scrape the plain text and put it in another.
You can work this so the XML to plaintext code is sofa aware and puts
the plain text where your existing code expects it to be without modification.
It's been a while since I've looked at this, but I left some notes:
http://code.google.com/p/uimafit/wiki/WorkingWithSofaViews
Also pay attention to the section called "Sofa Incompatibilities between UIMA
version 1 and version 2" in the user guide.

The uimafit users google group is another good resource.
https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups=#!forum/uimafit-users

-Chris

On 2/19/13 4:43 PM, Helen Johnson -X (heljohns - Infobahn Softworld Inc at
Cisco) wrote:
> So it turns out I cannot invoke
> cas.reset()
> from inside an annotator, nor can I set anew the text to be processed using
> cas.setDocumentText()
> once the doc-text has already been set in the SimpleServer Service.java class.
>
> What are my options for altering the document text inside an annotator after the SimpleServer
Service.java has already set the document text?
> -Helen

get back from the first REST service because it is a massive string and I only want a couple
nodes from that xml string to be processed throughout the UIMA pipeline. But I see your point.

> So then, in this new AE,  I retrieve the entire XML string from the CAS, do the zone-information
processing from the specific nodes of the XML. I assume it is straightforward to then reset
the CAS text to be just this text I have found in the original XML.  Specifically, I would
use CAS.reset() to empty the CAS of the original (full XML) text, then jCAS.setDocumentText()
with the new string of just the relevant text, as well as load all the doc-zone annotations
at this point. Is this right?

> Cheers,
> Helen

sent. Why do you want to change SimpleServer, it seems that you only want to add annotations
to the CAS, not fundamentally change how the CAS is created.

> It seems to me that it would be far easier to just create an AE that adds those annotations.
Then you won't have any typesystem issues either, since the AE would have the appropriate
typesystem.

wrote:
>> I'm stumped:
>>
>> I have a UIMA pipeline that starts with a CollectionReader that
>>
>> -          reads XML input (response from a REST service),
>>
>> -          identifies a couple of relevant XML nodes
>>
>> -          makes document-level annotations from the relevant nodes (title, document
body, footnote section)
>>   From there, the AnalysisEngine portion of the pipeline has many AEs that I've wrapped
into a single AggregateAnalysisEngine.
>> The CollectionReader and the AAE all work correctly in this pipeline.
>>
>> Now I need to transfer this pipeline into a SimpleServer REST service environment.
>> I've created a PEAR of the AAE portion of the pipeline, but I can't include the CollectionReader
in this PEAR.
>> First question:
>> It is my understanding the CR cannot be included in the PEAR for the simpleServer,
am I correct in this?

>> In order to get those document-zoning annotations of title, body & footnote,
I have added some methods to the Service.java class in the SimpleServer package that do the
XML parsing and then do the adding of these annotations to the JCAS before the AAE is called.
The error that is being thrown at this point is this:

>> "The server encountered an internal error (JCas type "myPackage.DocClass.ArticleMainTitle"
used in Java code, but was not declared in the XML type descriptor.) that prevented it from
fulfilling this request."

>> Second question:
>> Where is Service.java looking for the typesystem xml file to be? I have tried all
of the following, with the same error result:

>> -          put the typesystem descriptor file, myTSD.xml, in SimpleServer/lib
>>
>> -          create a jar containing myTSD.xml, put it into SimpleServer/lib and add
that to the build path

>> -          (after the two above attempts), in SimpleServer project properties, add
"lib" to the UIMA CDE Property Page

>> -          in SimpleServer project properties, in UIMA Type System, point to the
myTSD.xml file in lib

>> -          put myTSD.xml in SimpeServer/WebContent/WEB-INF/lib
>>
>> -          put the jar containing myTSD.xml in the SimpleServer/WebContent/WEB-INF/lib
>>
>> -          put myTSD.xml in SimpleServer/WebContent/WEB-INF/resources
>>
>> Final question:
>> When a CAS gets instantiated (or reset, as it does in Service.java), how can I tell
it to use a custom typesystem, and where will it look for that typesystem.xml file within
the SimpleServer project?