uima-user mailing list archives

From "Kline, Larry D" <Larry.Kl...@USONCOLOGY.COM>
Subject RE: ConceptMapper and stemming
Date Fri, 21 Dec 2012 18:01:03 GMT
Thanks for the link to BioLemmatizer. I tried it but the problem with it
is that in order to get accurate results you need to know the part of
speech of the word you wish to lemmatize.  But ConceptMapper requires
one to implement the Stemmer interface which allows you to pass only a
String to the stem method.  No part of speech.

Larry

-----Original Message-----
From: Renaud Richardet [mailto:renaud.richardet@gmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, December 18, 2012 7:40 AM
To: user@uima.apache.org
Subject: Re: ConceptMapper and stemming

Hi Larry,

> *         I presume I will need to stem the lookup dictionary when I
> build it.  Or can I do that at some other point in the pipeline?
ConceptMapper will do that for you at initialize()

> *         Does anyone have experience with stemming medical terms?  I
> would be running this against clinical notes typed by a physician
> about a patient.  My dictionary was built from SNOMED concepts.  Will
> stemming even help?

There is a dedicated stemmer (actually, a lemmatizer) for the biomedical
domain, you might want to take a look at it:
http://biolemmatizer.sourceforge.net/

-- Renaud
</pre>The contents of this electronic mail message and any attachments are confidential,
possibly privileged and intended for the addressee(s) only.<br>Only the addressee(s)
may read, disseminate, retain or otherwise use this message. If received in error, please
immediately inform the sender and then delete this message without disclosing its contents
to anyone.</pre>