uima-user mailing list archives

From Jens Grivolla <j+...@grivolla.net>
Subject Re: Parallel CAS consumer
Date Wed, 10 Oct 2012 12:56:44 GMT
Hi all,

from what I understand this does not involve CAS multipliers at all, but
simply a flow where all CAS consumers are done in one "parallel step".

Apparently this can't be done in a CPE so you would need an aggregate of
all the CAS consumers, and have a parallel flow controller for that
aggregate.

However, that wouldn't really do any good according to the
documentation: "ParallelStep, which specifies that multiple Analysis
Engines should receive the CAS next, and that the relative order in
which these Analysis Engines execute does not matter. Logically, they
can run in parallel. The runtime is not obligated to actually execute
them in parallel, however, and the current implementation will execute
them serially in an arbitrary order."

Best,
Jens

> Hi,
>
> I see. I think this is not possible. To my knowledge CPE (which you probably use) does
not support CAS multipliers. I'm not too familiar with UIMA-AS, are you sure that it supports
such a scenario?

> If you manage to get realize the scenario as you described, it would be great to hear
how you did it.

> Best,
>
> -- Richard
>
> Am 10.10.2012 um 12:15 schrieb Timo Boehme <timo.boehme@ontochem.com>
> :
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Am 10.10.2012 12:05, schrieb Richard Eckart de Castilho:
>>> the main difference between CAS consumers and analysis engines is
>>> that the former be default run only a single instance and the latter
>>> can be multiplied. If your consumer code can be run in parallel, just
>>> try inheriting from AnalysisEngine_ImplBase (or something like that)
>>> instead.
>>
>> Thanks for your answer. However each single consumer must run as single instance
(e.g. one database consumer, one consumer writing to a file; each of them need to run as single
instance). Thus I would like to have a single instance per consumer but the different consumer
to run in parallel.

>> Kind regards,
>> Timo
>>
>>> Am 10.10.2012 um 12:00 schrieb Timo Boehme <timo.boehme@ontochem.com>
>>> :

components of a pipeline in parallel?
in my case they don't depend on each other it would be more efficient to have them run in
parallel. Can I use CAS multiplier + Flow control to achieve this?