uima-user mailing list archives

From "bp.untn@gmail.com" <bp.u...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Adding relations in a CAS
Date Fri, 06 Jul 2012 11:41:41 GMT
Hi Armin,

this is exactly what I'm just asking myself, too.

I've added Named Entities as standard UIMA Annotation types (with begin/set
end set accordingly).

Then I've tried to create a new Relation type that contains the two
arguments as references to the two NER annotations, i.e. added two
features: mention1 (type NER), mention2 (type NER).
However, the problem is that I don't see the Relation in the document
Analyzer -- I have expected somehow that the two NER's would show up.
If I set the begin/end of the Relation to the argument's begin and end,
then I do see it in the document analyzer, but of course I do get all the
textspan in between (and including) the two entities highlighted.

However, I somehow expect that's not the proper way to handle it in UIMA...
Rather, there is this 'not just annotations' type (i.e. the Relation object
should be a subclass of TOP and not of Annotation, as it is a more abstract
type without begin/end), as mentioned in
http://uima.apache.org/d/uimaj-2.4.0/overview_and_setup.html#ugr.ovv.conceptual.metadata_in_cas
Section
2.3.2.2. Not Just Annotations. However, I've tried that and stil I don't
see it in the analyzer. What am I doing wrong?

i.e. what's the correct way of using an abstract (non-annotation) type in
UIMA whose parts actually correctly show up in the document Analyzer?

Thanks for help.
B.