uima-user mailing list archives

From Timo Boehme <timo.boe...@ontochem.com>
Subject Re: Exception in collectionProcessComplete not reported?
Date Mon, 20 Feb 2012 09:01:45 GMT

Am 18.02.2012 13:01, schrieb Erik Fäßler:
> I had an odd problem when I realized not all of my documents were
> actually treated by my consumer. I run a traditional CPE with 4
> threads. After some time of research I came to note that my
> consumer-AE had an exception thrown which I never saw. The exception
> is thrown in this collectionProcessComplete method:

> 	} catch (SQLException e) {
> 		throw new AnalysisEngineProcessException(e.getNextException());
> 	}
>
> I have to call e.printStackTrace() (or
> e.getNextException().printStackTrace()) myself in order to get a
> message about the error. I am running UIMA 2.3.1. How can it be an
> Exception stays unreported? Have I messed up some logging options or
> something? It seems I'm unaware of some fundamental thing about
> exception handling in UIMA here and I would rather not have to search
> for exceptions myself without knowing they even have been thrown :-)

UIMA catches all exceptions reaching it, even runtime exceptions via
uncaught exception handler. If you properly initialized the UIMA logging
it should report the exceptions (however I cannot tell you how :-) ).
There is another way to get the exceptions:
when you created the cpe instance, e.g. like
CollectionProcessingEngine cpe =
UIMAFramework.produceCollectionProcessingEngine( cpeDesc );

you should add an own implementation of StatusCallbackListener via
cpe.addStatusCallbackListener( cpeStatusListener )

in the StatusCallbackListener there is a method
entityProcessComplete( CAS _cas, EntityProcessStatus _status )

with _status.isException() and _status.getExceptions() you can get the
exceptions occurred during processing and which components were involved
(_status.getFailedComponentNames()).

Kind regards,

Timo

--