uima-user mailing list archives

From "Tomas By" <...@cmu.edu>
Subject Re: Annotation/Feature creation, changing types
Date Wed, 07 Dec 2011 06:20:38 GMT
Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

On Wed, December 7, 2011 12:04 am, Thilo Goetz wrote:
> On 06/12/11 20:47, Tomas By wrote:
>> So suppose my data looks like this:
>>
>> "word" ANNOTATIONTYPE [ MYTYPE = VALUE, ... ]
>
> Not in any way that still makes use of the UIMA data structures.  UIMA
> is statically typed, so there's really no way to dynamically add features
> at runtime.

Well, I do not actually need to add any types/features. The app has a
type system, and the user provides data for the lexicon lookup.

If those things do not match then that is an error condition.

The problem is that the way it works now I will have to recompile the
lexicon lookup module when the application type system changes, which
seems unnecessary. The lex module should be general and work with any
type system.

What I need is a way to have a string "X", and be able to create an
annotation or attribute with the type X, for any value of X. If X happens
to not be defined in the current type system then it is just an error.

/Tomas