uima-user mailing list archives

From Richard Eckart de Castilho <eckar...@tk.informatik.tu-darmstadt.de>
Subject Re: jcas, annotation, address, and id
Date Tue, 11 Oct 2011 20:47:42 GMT
Hello Matt,

the JCas and CAS interfaces are abstractions so that programmers do not have to work with
technical artifacts such as addresses. If you really really really want to use them, you can
have a look at org.apache.uima.cas.impl.LowLevelCAS (JCas.getCas().getLowLevelCAS()) - but
I think there might be a better solution for whatever problem you try to address by looking
up annotations via their IDs.

Mind that the official API-Docs do not include documentation for LowLevelCAS - it's marked
as "for internal use only". There is documentation for it in the UIMA source code though.

Best,

-- Richard

Am 11.10.2011 um 22:33 schrieb Coarr, Matt:

> I have a couple questions…
>
> First, is the getAddress() method on Annotation (derived from FeatureStructureImpl according
to the javadocs) the same value as the "id" value in the xmi serialization?

> Second, how can I lookup an annotation in the jcas based on the annotation's address
value?  I've recently figured out how to use annotation index, iterators, and constraints
(at least the basics) for filtering based on values defined on the annotation within the type
system.

> I haven't seen a way to search the jcas for an annotation with a specific address (e.g.
Id).  Any pointers?

> Thanks!
> Matt

Richard Eckart de Castilho
Technical Lead
Ubiquitous Knowledge Processing Lab
FB 20 Computer Science Department
Technische Universität Darmstadt
Hochschulstr. 10, D-64289 Darmstadt, Germany
eckartde@tk.informatik.tu-darmstadt.de
www.ukp.tu-darmstadt.de