uima-user mailing list archives

From Richard Eckart de Castilho <eckar...@tk.informatik.tu-darmstadt.de>
Subject DKPro Core 1.1.0 released
Date Fri, 11 Feb 2011 15:54:20 GMT
We are pleased to announce the release of DKPro Core 1.1.0 - a collection of software components
for natural language processing (NLP) based on the Apache UIMA framework.

  http://www.ukp.tu-darmstadt.de/software/dkpro/

DKPro Core consists of a number of pre-processing components for NLP tasks, often wrapping
existing libraries or tools for easy use in an UIMA pipeline.

  * tokenization/segmentation
  * compound splitting (Banana Split, JWordSplitter)
  * stemming (Snowball)
  * part-of-speech tagging (TreeTagger)
  * parsing (Stanford Parser)
  * language identification (TextCat)
  * spelling correction (Jazzy)
  * IO support for various data types (text, XML, PDF, WSDL, Wikipedia, ...)

A basic UIMA type system is provided with which all of the components work out-of-the-box.
Some components can be configured for use with other type systems.

DKPro Core builds heavily on uimaFIT, making use of features such as injection of configuration
parameters and automatic type detection. Because using DKPro in Java code with uimaFIT is
so easy, we do at present not provide traditional UIMA XML descriptors for our analysis engines,
readers and consumers - only for the type systems.

We offer two sets of components with DKPro Core:

  * DKPro Core ASL provides components under the Apache Software License 2.0
    http://code.google.com/p/dkpro-core-asl

  * DKPro Core GPL provides components under the GNU Public License 3.0
    http://code.google.com/p/dkpro-core-gpl

Currently DKPro Core is meant to be used with Apache Maven. We host a public Maven repository
containing DKPro Core ASL, DKPro Core GPL and all their dependendies. You can also obtain
JARs for individual components from that repository. With future releases of DKPro, we may
add the option of a downloadable archive.

This project was initiated by the Ubiquitous Knowledge Processing Lab (UKP) at the Technische
Universit├Ąt Darmstadt, Germany under the auspices of Prof. Dr. Iryna Gurevych. All former
and current member of the UKP Lab have contributed in code, as testers or in spirit to this
project. It constitutes an essential cornerstone for our research environment at the UKP Lab.

DKPro Core requires Java 1.6, UIMA 2.3.1 and uimaFIT 1.1.0 (amongst other component-specific
dependencies).

An introduction to DKPro Core can be found at
  http://code.google.com/p/dkpro-core-asl/wiki/MyFirstDKProProject

Please feel free to direct your questions to dkpro-core-user@googlegroups.com .
If you wish to be notified about new releases, please subscribe to http://groups.google.com/group/dkpro-core-announce
.

Richard Eckart de Castilho
Technical Lead
Ubiquitous Knowledge Processing Lab
FB 20 Computer Science Department
Technische Universit├Ąt Darmstadt
Hochschulstr. 10, D-64289 Darmstadt, Germany
phone +49 (6151) 16-7477, fax -5455, room S2/02/E225
eckartde@tk.informatik.tu-darmstadt.de
www.ukp.tu-darmstadt.de