uima-user mailing list archives

From Charles Bearden <Charles.F.Bear...@uth.tmc.edu>
Subject Re: Conflict between 2.3.1 SDK plugin & 2.3.0 AS descriptor editor plugin
Date Thu, 17 Feb 2011 22:58:12 GMT
On 02/17/2011 04:50 PM, Charles Bearden wrote:
> On 02/16/2011 10:21 AM, James Carman wrote:
>> Did you start up eclipse with the "-clean" option to make sure it
>> re-initializes everything? That combination works for me.
>
> I'm using Eclipse Helios for Java SR1
> (eclipse-java-helios-SR1-linux-gtk) on an Ubuntu 10.10 workstation.
>
> I think the problem was that I was trying to manage the plugins manually
> after having installed them from the update site and then uninstalled
> them. It looks like once you install plugins from an update site, you'll
> have a very hard time managing them manually the way you might think you
> should be able to because a good deal of info about them remains in the
> eclipse config files.
>
> Also, when you copy plugin files manually into the plugins subdir and
> start eclipse with the '-clean' option, they don't show up in the
> Installed Software tab of the "What's already installed" dialogue,
> though the plugins do show up in the Plugins tab of that dialogue.
>
> If, once I use the UIMA Eclipse update site to install the plugins, I
> either avoid managing the plugins manually, or I clean out all traces of
> UIMA metadata from the various corners:
>
> ./artifacts.xml
> ./configuration/org.eclipse.osgi/bundles/*/content.xml
> ./configuration/org.eclipse.osgi/bundles/*/artifacts.xml
> ./configuration/org.eclipse.update/platform.xml
> ./features/org.apache.uima.*
>
> everything seems to work.
>
> Thanks,
> Chuck

Also confusing is that when I uninstall the UIMA plugins through the
Installed Software tab of the Install New Software -> What is already
installed dialog box, the jar files remain in the plugins subdir after a
restart, and they are still loaded by Eclipse. The component descriptor
editors still work, e.g., and they are listed in the Plugins tab of the
Install New Software -> What is already installed dialog.

Not hard to work around, but I let myself make several false inferences
about how the setup works based on a partial understanding of these
behaviors.

Chuck