uima-user mailing list archives

From Marshall Schor <...@schor.com>
Subject Re: why use UIMA logging facility?
Date Thu, 04 Mar 2010 00:38:19 GMT

On 3/3/2010 4:26 PM, Philip Ogren wrote:
> I am involved in a discussion about how to do logging in uima.  We
> were looking at section 1.2.2 in the tutorial for some motivation as
> to why we would use the built-in UIMA logging rather than just using
> e.g. log4j directly - but there doesn't seem to be any.  Could someone
> give us some intuition why it matters which logging library we use?
> (I have my own suspicions - but that's all they are...)

UIMA logging can be configured to use several loggers, including log4j.

Using the UIMA logging framework would allow potential future users of
your component to integrate it with their project, independent of how
logging was being done, since they could configure UIMA to use different
loggers.

HTH. -Marshall