uima-user mailing list archives

From William Colen <william.co...@gmail.com>
Subject Tips for a beginner
Date Thu, 03 Dec 2009 15:01:46 GMT
Hello,

We are moving our Brazilian Portuguese annotators (sentence detector,
tokenizer, tagger, parser) to UIMA. We have different implementations of
some annotators: some were created using OpenNLP, others where written from
scratch.
We would like to have .PEARs for each annotator, so in the applications we
would change the annotators easily. Also we don't want to have duplicated
resources (mostly dictionaries, and the UIMA typesystem descriptor), so we
need a way to share.

The first thing we did was to create the UIMA wrappers and descriptors. They
are ready and we were able to create a UIMA application that uses the
annotators (but we had to put all the code and descriptors in only one
Eclipse project. No .pear yet).

Now we are splitting the projects in smaller ones. For instance, we create
only one TypeSystem.xml and would like every project to use it. So I created
a simple .pear with the TypeSystem.xml.
After that I created another pear for the sentence detector, but I couldn't
import the TypeSystem.xml of the first pear. The only way to do that was
using the relative path or if I put the TypeSystem.xml inside the JAR file
of the first pear, and import it using classpath.
Do you know a better way to do that?

Latter I'll have to do the same with the dictionaries. I'm not sure if the
best approach is to create a .pear only for it. Will it work?

Thanks
William